The residency in Pediatric Pharmacy Practice at UF Health Shands Hospital is an ASHP-accredited program. The purpose of the residency is to prepare the resident to practice and provide quality pediatric clinical pharmacy services in an institutional setting where teaching and research are also incorporated.
Pediatric pharmacy services are provided to the patients of UF Health Shands Hospital by an experienced pediatric pharmacy team. Pharmacists provide care to a wide variety of patients in the inpatient and outpatient areas of the medical center. Pharmacy satellites are supported by pharmacy technicians and an extensive IV additive program and prepackaging service.
The pediatric medical staff from UF represent all pediatric subspecialties and attract patients from all over the Southeast, as well as from foreign countries. UF Health Shands Hospital has two general pediatric units, a dedicated pediatric hematology/oncology/BMT unit, Level IV neonatal ICU, pediatric ICU and congenital heart ICU. The outpatient clinics care for 60,000 patient visits each year in 35 specialty and general clinics. Each year, approximately 50 housestaff train in pediatrics, with fellowships in nine specialty areas.
The residency in pediatric pharmacy practice is comprehensive enough to meet the guidelines for ASHP accreditation, but flexible enough to meet the interests of the resident. The focus of the residency will be on providing pharmaceutical care for the pediatric patients of UF Health Shands Hospital. Participation in teaching and research is also expected.
- Staff an average of eight hours per week, to include rotation through Pediatric On-Call
- Attend rotation-specific Grand Rounds and conferences on a weekly basis
- Assist in training pharmacy practice residents during their pediatric rotations
- Assist in precepting undergraduate Pharm.D. students
- Conduct a Medication Use Evaluation
- Complete and publish an article for the Drugs and Therapy Bulletin
- Present a major project at either a regional residency conference or an equivalent forum
- Present 2 formal presentations on a therapeutic controversy within pediatrics to the department
- Complete Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) training
- Develop a proposal for a new pediatric pharmacy related service
- Design and present an effective poster on a pediatric related topic
Each resident is required to complete a project. Projects must receive prior approval and must be in publishable form upon completion of the residency.
The resident receives a $52,000 stipend paid by UF Health Shands Hospital. The stipend, coupled with the comparatively low cost of living in Gainesville, should ensure a financially sufficient year.
Assistance with local expenses will be provided to all candidates interviewed.
Hospital benefits include:
- Ten days of paid time off
- Eight paid holidays
- Contributory health insurance
- Paid life insurance
To be eligible for a Pediatric Practice Management residency at UF Health Shands Hospital, you must meet the following requirements:
- Academic: The applicant must have a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited school or college and a residency certificate from a pharmacy practice residency (PGY1) before enrolling in this advanced residency program.
- Professional License: All residents must be eligible for Florida licensure. Selected and matched residents must be licensed by August 1st.
- Interview: An on-site interview with patient case presentation is required.
- Non-Resident Alien Applicants:To be considered for employment, you must presently have an employment authorization that is valid throughout the residency period.
- Interested applicants must register for the Resident Matching Program
- Submit all applications through PhORCAS.
- Final deadline for complete applications is December 31st, 2021
- Complete applications include:
- Transcript of the applicant’s grades
- Letter of Intent
- Current curriculum vitae
- Standardized Reference Forms supplied by PhORCAS from three (3) professional sources
- After completed applications have been reviewed, the residency selection committee will notify selected applicants to arrange an on-site interview.
- Official start date for the residency: July 5th, 2022
- Kalen Manasco, PharmD, BCPS, BCPPS, FCCP, FPPA